Saturday 9 November 2013

Trudging, not Tramping

The southern half of the UK was awash under rain for most of the day according to the weather maps and latest forecast, so I cast my eyes northwards. From around Doncaster upwards the forecast was showing a much better outlook, so I headed up the M1/A1 to do a couple of series, starting with Trampz Trample.

Unfortunately weather forecasts aren't always correct - even when they're only a few hours old. On arrival at my chosen start point I had to sit in the car for 30 minutes whilst a particularly squally shower passed over. The skies remained dark and ominous but I was able to kit up and set off in a lull between the showers. Frustratingly, some 10 or 15 miles away in almost all directions, I could see blue sky. However looking in one direction, the sky was black; and you can guess which direction the wind was blowing from.

Sometimes I find walking in the rain invigorating; today, it was just dampening. There's not much pleasure to be gained in scrabbling around in wet leaves in wet hedges and under dripping trees looking for small bits of tupperware. Despite how good one's kit is, everything eventually gets soaked, adding to the misery quotient.

To compound my miserableness I'd chosen a series that included some awkward hides, such as micros in the middle of woods, that I'm not keen on at the best of times. In today's conditions, my usual enthusiasm for the search just drained away. The trail was a lot longer than I'd anticipated as well, taking nearly 4hrs to complete - so not much chance of doing the second series I'd planned.

With just 19 finds, and 8 DNFs, this was the most unproductive caching day I've had this year.

The forecast for tomorrow is sunshine nearly everywhere; I hope this time they get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment