Wednesday 16 October 2013

Dry feet are happy feet

I normally wear nubuck/fabric boots, always gortex-lined. I've never been keen on traditional leather boots because of the weight, and the necessity to spend more time looking after them, with all that dubbing and suchlike (do they still do that?). With my fabric boots, care entails cleaning them under the tap on my return from a trip, and occasionally re-proofing them with a Nikwax re-proofer. I re-proof my boots frequently to try and maintain their water resistance. I can stand in a stream and they won't let in water.

However, their efficacy against moisture ingress is completely undone in just a few minutes under one particular circumstance; walking through wet grass. The grass seems to have the ability to permeate right through the outer boot layers and my feet quickly begin to squelch. This is never a comfortable feeling, usually made worse by the knowledge that I could still have miles to go before I can get my feet dry again. I was walking in just such circumstances yesterday on my Somerset Saunters; within 30 minutes of the trail start my boots were soaked through. However this time, my feet remained perfectly dry - and continued to remain dry for the rest of the trail, and the next trail as well!

My secret? - SealSkinz socks.
SealSkinz socks - completely waterproof
Dry feet are happy feet; wearing these socks ensured that my feet stayed happy.

I have no connection with the company, and I haven't been rewarded in any way for endorsing this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment