Saturday 19 October 2013

Oundle Outing

I headed back to izaakwilson territory today, to walk the long Barnwell and Back trail, a series of 69 caches with others available en route, including four Church Micros (although I'd already visited two of those). The skies were grey and mizzly, but half-way through the sun broke through for a while. Very warm for October, still T-shirt weather.
Oundle's Most Holy Name of Jesus Church,
from outside the Museum
I started the trek in Stoke Doyle and walked the route the 'wrong' way round, so soon found myself in Oundle where I bagged a Church Micro that has been on my todo list for some time. Then it was out of Oundle past the impressive Oundle Mill.
Oundle Mill, a posh restaurant and B&B
The route was a little iffy after that, using what looked to me like private quarry roads; I'm not sure how viable that part of the circuit will remain. Onwards through Barnwell where I picked up my second Church Micro of the day. A nice place, but a very strange Church building. A gauntlet of cows to confront after Barnwell, but they let me pass without getting too antsy.

Lots of road walking took me to Pilton, then there were more fields - one a cowfield, thankfully empty - to get me back into Stoke Doyle. A trail of some 11 miles, completed in a surprisingly quick 5hrs. This was a good thing, as ten minutes into my journey home everything went very black, and the rain chucked it down.

With 76 finds, this was a good caching day.

No comments:

Post a Comment