Friday 11 October 2013

Jessica's Jaunt

Despite warnings from the forecaster of possibly dire weather conditions, yesterday I was lured up to Grantham by a newly published series of 70 caches, Jessica's Jaunt. The weather turned out to be far more benign than predicted; windy, but the sun broke through often, and the squally showers failed to dampen my enjoyment of this long trail (rain doesn't really bother me once I'm out on a walk, but I'm reluctant to start a walk in the rain).
First part of the trail is along a dismantled railway

The route is flat and very easy-going, with good paths throughout, but at nearly 14 miles it's not a short one. I treated it as a figure-of-eight. This meant walking the 'shortcut' section of caches twice, but it also meant I could return to the cachemobile halfway through for re-supply.

I had one mildly scary bovine encounter - my bĂȘte noir (sometimes literally), I'm always very nervous when I meet up with walking beef/milk - but I emerged unscathed. With eight FTFs and just one DNF, it was a very good day, topped off with a Church Micro multi on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment