Thursday 24 October 2013

Shenanigans down South

I headed South today, across the scary QEII bridge into Kent (actually, it's not scary in my Landy; scary is when you cross it on a fully-laden Honda C70, with the wind alone deciding which lane you are going to use, as I did in the early 90's). The object of today's adventure was the 40-cache series Shorne Shenanigans, topped and tailed with a couple of early Church Micros.

Church Micro 71... Shorne
I cheated a little here; I was able to glean one set of numbers whilst still at home. That info, combined with the hint and a smidgeon of geocaching nous, allowed me to find the cache before I visited the Church. Having completed that mini-mission I set off on the trail proper.

Set out in a figure-of-eight, it's an uncomplicated caching series through a tame rural landscape. I like figures-of-eight, they allow for convenient re-supply half-way round so no need to lug the victuals all the way round.

The first loop is the longest, taking me 2hrs20 to complete, then it was back out of Shorne to complete the second half. Some good views down to the estuary along that section.

Estuary view, on the second loop - I know you can't see the water in
this little pic, but it is down there!
All the caches were found with ease. The listings mention there might be coord issues due to the tree cover, but I found them to be fine throughout. At a little over 4hrs, it's a decent stroll, with no livestock issues - just horses in adjacent fields - and an easy route to walk.

Mega-jams on the M25 on my return - how unusual - meant that TomTom diverted me off at the M11 to bring me back to the Midlands via the A14. The number of times I've driven that road in the last few years..

This was day four of the steroid regime, only 55mg. Side-effects have now faded; my heart-beat has returned to its usual dum-de-dum, and I am once more blessed with the sleep of the innocents.

No comments:

Post a Comment